Ballpoint Pen - a pen, which is used for writing the rod with a ball point pen on the end. Channel through which ink is held a small metal ball is blocked. In the letter he rolls on the paper surface, wetting the back of the ink. A small gap between the ball and the walls allows it to rotate and leave a trail of rolling paper. This is the cheapest, simplest and therefore most popular pen. Ink paste, which is used in ball pens, different from the ink fountain pens for writing. It is designed for oil-based and more dense, thus preventing its leakage from the core. The principle of the pen was patented October 30, 1888 in the United States by John Loudon. We invite you to learn 10 interesting facts about this simple and very common subject.
1) Ballpoint pens was originally designed for the Royal Air Force of Great Britain, as usual fountain pens flowed in jets from the reduction of atmospheric pressure. Handles can not write in space and in a state of weightlessness.
2) Each year, choking on a ballpoint pen, kills about 100 people.
3) The first batch of ballpoint pens went on sale in New York in 1945 was such a queue is that the authorities had put a cordon of several hundred police officers. The day has been sold 10,000 pens, though the novelty has cost $ 12, So received the American industrial worker during 8 hours of labor.
4) The rods are ball point pens were originally bent in accordion to increase the capacity of ink: they had a "double length". However, later to reduce the cost of production, started to make thin, smooth rods.
5) In almost all European languages, ballpoint pens are named using the word "ball»: «ballpoint» pen in English, «bolígrafo» in Spanish, «penna a sfera» in Italian and «Kugelschreiber» in German. Only in Argentina pens called "birami," in honor of the inventor Laszlo Biro pen, which has not received a penny of his invention: due to the fact that he failed to perfect time to patent his bamboozle experienced dealers. By the way, Biro died not so long ago, in 1985.
6) Every second in the world sold 125 ballpoint pens. One-third of the market pens in America is owned by BIC, which since 1983 has sold in the U.S. for more than 7 billion pens.
7) The average person uses up 1 year 4.3 pens, each with a good pen can write 50 thousand words.
8) In 95% of cases, if a person is given a new pen, the first word that he would write to her to be his name.
9) In America, there are English-speaking pen - computer, which is sold in a set of special paper. She corrects all errors made in writing, may make the translation into Spanish and back and still say the words aloud.
10) The most expensive pen, inscribed in the Guinness Book of Records, worth one million euros. This platinum pen «Montegrappa».